Get Over Your Fears! Tips For Your First-Time Hiking the Great Wall Alone
Solo hiking the Great Wall of China can be really rewarding if you do it correctly. Solo hikes can be made to fit your schedule even if others are not available. They can be a fun way to recharge and get outdoors. Below are some tips to help you plan a safe and exciting solo hike of the Great Wall of China.
1. Pick a Well-traveled Section of the Great Wall.
Since you will be hiking on your own, it is best to choose a well-traveled part of the wall for your trip. Examples of popular routes include Jinshanling to Simatai West, Jiankou to Mutianyu or Huanghuacheng to Xishuiyu. All of these routes can be completed within one day, but make sure you leave early enough to get back to your hotel at a reasonable hour.
2. Tell Someone Where You Are Going
Before you leave for your solo hike of the Great Wall of China, make sure that a reliable friend or family member knows where you will be.
Send this individual a very explicit description of the trail you plan to hike, and text your trusted individual when you set out so he or she will know what time you should return. Check in with this person when you are back at your hotel.
3. Know Your Limits
It is okay to challenge yourself when completing your first solo self-guided Great Wall hike. However, it is important to plan a hike that will also be safe. Don’t hike farther than you have every hiked before if you are setting out on this trail for the first time. Instead, choose a moderate distance and safe route you can complete comfortably.
4. Be Prepared
Plan the day of your hike carefully. Schedule breakfast before you begin the hike, and make sure you have enough food and water with you to sustain yourself throughout the hike. Choose comfortable shoes so your feet won’t be sore when the day is over.
5. Trust Your Instincts
As you plan and complete your hike, it is important to be aware of the possibility of danger. Be aware of your surroundings. If something doesn’t feel right, it’s probably not.
6. If You Get Lost, Stay Clam
With proper planning, you should be able to complete your hike without any problems. However, any time you explore a new location, it is always possible to get lost. If you get lost on your hike, remember:
- Stay calm and try to relax. Breathe slowly to keep yourself from panicking.
- Think about your surroundings. Consult your map.
- Observe. Look around you for landmarks, footprints or any other signs that could help you get your bearings.
- Plan. If you know the route, go carefully and mark your trail along the way.
A solo hike of the Great Wall of China can be an amazing experience that you will remember for years to come. By following the tips above, you can be sure that you get the most out of your trip.
- Travel in the Time of COVID-19 – Frequently Asked Questions - 21/05/2020
- 8 Cool Things to Do During a Layover in Beijing - 15/04/2020
- How to Setup and Use WeChat As a Traveler in China - 06/04/2020