Why Book This Tour
Explore the best of wild Great Wall for an unforgettable outdoor experience. Leave behind the bustle of the city and step into the tranquility of Gubeikou by day, by night kick back and relax at a local farmer’s guesthouse, Move on to experience the power of the wild and rugged Jinshanling the next day.
- OverviewDuration: 2 daysOptimal season: All year around, best time: March-DecemberArea: Miyun county, Luanping countyBegin in: Your hotelEnd in: Your hotel or central-located place in the cityAvg. daily distance: 5 milesTerrain: Rolling to hillyMin altitude: 327mMax altitude: 589mPhysical rating: ModerateDeparture: Daily departing from Beijing
- PricesPrice table:
Group size 1pax 2pax 3pax 4pax 5pax 6pax 7pax 8pax 9pax Prices (RMB Per Person) 3880 2280 2180 1980 1880 1780 1680 1580 1480
All Prices shown are in RMB (Chinese Yuan) and based per person.Price Promises:
- No factory / shopping stop
- No hidden costs
- No booking fees
For your peace of mind you don’t pay for the trip until after the trip has taken place. You could pay cash to your tour guide when you are picked up. No pre-payment or deposit is required at reservation. Your money will be safe. Both RMB and US dollar are acceptable. Money ConverterSpecial for kids:
To help families we offer discounts to all children aged 17 years and below. No reason to leave the kids at the hotel.
- Ages 0 to 4 years – FREE!
- Ages 5 to 11 years – 50% off–children must be accompanied by at least two responsible adults.
- Ages 12 to 17 years – 5% off
- 5% off with valid student ID
- City accommodation pick-up
- Transportation from Beijing to the wall and back
- On requests, drop-off at (same) different locations: centrally located hotel, airport, train station with your luggage (greater luggage requirements please ask for a quotation)
- Luggage transfer
- Service hotline
- Friendly knowledgeable English-speaking guide
- Delicious meals as described in the itinerary
- Free-bottled mineral water in the vehicle
- Admission fees
- One night accommodation at the local farmhouse (two queen beds, white bedding, air conditioning, heating, private bathroom, shower, sink, toilet facilities, and free WiFi)
- You’ll automatically become a member of WGW, your spouse and kids to a lifetime discount of 5% off any hiking trip after your first one (membership details)
- Gratuity to driver and guide (optional)
- Drinks and other meals
- Personal expenses
- Travel insurance
- Cable car
- Sunscreen, sunglasses
- Hiking or trekking shoes/boots
- Long sleeve shirt and pants (because of overgrown bushes)
- Extra bottles of water, fruit, cereal or protein bars, snacks
- Full itineraryFull Itinerary:
Day 1: Beijing – Gubeikou – Jinshanling
You will be collected from your accommodation at 7.30 am or if you prefer, a different time for a wonderful two hiking-filled days. The adventure begins gently at Gubeikou village with a short climb up to a broken tower. Walk eastward and enjoy plenty of photography stops before you reach General Tower. From there you can capture the true nature of Gubeikou mountain.
After 1 hours’ gradually climbing through several towers, then you will reach the 24-window tower. Here, a large part of the wall belongs to the military area. You will descend into the basins of the Spider Valley. From here it is a gentle walk through the cornfields to the hilly trail.
Along the way you will pass through an abandoned house, complete with a well and a mid-sized water store in the middle of the Valley. Going through the hilly trail in 1.5 hours then walk back to the wall -Jinshanling west. After a short climb, you will reach the West five-window Tower. Here you can sit in the tower and gaze down the spider valley.
You’ll get off the wall at the renowned Zhuanduokou. Enjoy a yummy farm-style lunch at Bakeshiying town then a short drive to the guesthouse where a hot shower, comfortable beds and country-style dinner are waiting.
Day 2: Jinshanling – Simatai West (East Gate ) -Beijing
Wake to the tranquillity of Jinshanling and after breakfast takes time to enjoy the dramatic landscape around Jinshanling. The adventure begins at the east gate of Jinshanling where you ascend via a newly constructed trail toward the east five eye tower. If you’re a step-master, this is right for you. At the top, you will feast your eyes on the spectacular panorama of Jinshanling. Take your time and enjoy the views.
Start the walk at east five eye tower then goes up to the ruined towers. The difficulty of the hike is moderate. Along the way you will pass through several famous towers: Black Tower, Lesser Jinshan Tower, Big Jinshan Tower. From the towers, you can capture the true nature of Jinshanling basin and Simatai, Gubeikou Great Wall. Certain parts of Jinshanling can be quite slippery due to loose rock, gravel on steep slopes.
You will be rewarded with a yummy lunch at Bakeshiying town after the hike. Returning to Beijing your driver will be happy to have a photography stop at Bird’s nest free of charge if required.
Jinshanling has 5 main passes and 67 watchtowers. The entire hike is about 6 miles /10 km and takes roughly 3 – 5 hours. This hike brings you an unforgettable journey through the wild beauty of Jinshanling and Gubeikou.
Note: Jinshanling currently has two gates: the Front Gate (Main Gate) and the East Gate. Be aware that visitors are not allowed to enter from the East Gate from November 16th to March 15th and only the Front Gate is available, but visitors can still get out from the East Gate before 15:00 between Nov 16th and March 15th every year.
Interested in this tour, any questions? The quickest way to find answers to your questions is to review the most frequently asked questions. If you can’t find the information you are looking for please feel free to contact us.
- Map the tour/Videos