Why Book This Tour
A fantastic self-guided walking adventure across Jinshanling and Jinshanling East. Walk Jinshanling at your own pace and only leave transportation, navigation and logistics to us. An incredible walking experiences for people who like to explore the Great Wall on their own terms.
- OverviewDuration: 1 dayOptimal season: All year around, best time: March-DecemberArea: Miyun countyBegin in: Your hotelEnd in: Your hotel or central-located place, or airport / train stationAvg. daily distance: 5 milesTerrain: Rolling to hillyMin altitude: 327mMax altitude: 589mPhysical rating: ModerateDeparture: Daily departing from Beijing
- PricesPrice table:
Group size 1pax 2pax 3pax 4pax 5pax 6pax 7pax 8pax 9pax Prices (RMB Per Person) 1190 680 590 560 520 490 470 440 390
All Prices shown are in RMB (Chinese Yuan) and based per person.Price Promises:
- No factory / shopping stop
- No hidden costs
- No booking fees
For your peace of mind you don’t pay for the trip until after the trip has taken place. You could pay cash to your driver when you are picked up if you are certain that you will not cancel the trip with us. No pre-payment or deposit is required at reservation. Your money will be safe. Both RMB and US dollar are acceptable. Money ConverterSpecial for kids:
To help families we offer discounts to all children aged 17 years and below. No reason to leave the kids at the hotel.
- Ages 0 to 4 years – FREE!
- Ages 5 to 11 years – 50% off–children must be accompanied by at least two responsible adults.
- Ages 12 to 17 years – 5% off
- 5% off with valid student ID
- City accommodation pick-up
- Transportation from Beijing to the wall and back
- On request, drop-off at (same) different locations: centrally located hotel, airport, train station with your luggage (greater luggage requirements please ask for a quotation)
- Professional Non-English/Chinese speaking driver
- Free-bottled mineral water in the vehicle
- Free cell phone rental service
- Admission fees
- You’ll automatically become a member of WGW, your spouse and kids to a lifetime discount of 5% off any hiking trip after your first one (membership details)
- Gratuity to driver and guide (optional)
- Drinks and other meals
- Personal expenses
- Travel insurance
- Cable car
- Sunscreen, sunglasses
- Hiking or trekking shoes/boots
- Long sleeve shirt and pants due to overgrown bushes on the Wall
- Extra bottles of water, fruit, cereal or protein bars, snacks
- Full itineraryFull Itinerary:
You will be collected from your accommodation at 7.30 am or if you prefer, a different time for you for a wonderful day out to Jinshanling. After approx. 2. 5 hours drive to the main entrance, your driver will buy entry tickets for you then wait for you at Jinshanling East. Start walk eastward to Jinshanling East. The track is well-formed and easy to follow but there are some places where you must walk on vertical steps, rugged terrain or through broken towers. Along the way you will pass through several famous towers: Black Tower, Lesser Jinshan Tower, Big Jinshan Tower.
From the towers, you will capture the true nature of Jinshanling basin and Simatai, Gubeikou. Keep walking until reaching the tower 22nd, then you will see a staircase BEHIND the tower 22, get off the staircase and turn right, you will see the exit. Walking along the hilly trail to the parking lot takes around 40 minutes, where you will be picked up by your driver.
Does the self-guided tour have a set time frame? No, the self-guided tour doesn’t have any set time frame. However, the hike normally covers 3 -5 hours with plenty of breaks. The entire distance of your self guided walk is 7-8 kilometers (4-5 miles) with a total vertical climb of around 200 meters (660 feet).
Free cell phone rental service is available once you are picked up (for a local call in case you need to contact us for guiding, translation, etc)
Note: The Free cell phone rental service includes one cell phone and local calling Sim with unlimited local calls in case you need to contact us during your tour. This is suitable for your Jinshanling hike without a tour guide. You would be able to explore Great Wall on your own with 100% worry-free. A cell phone will be returned back when the tour is ending. Please keep in mind that your driver speaks little English, so please call our office (+86 139 1132 1502) if there is any misunderstanding with your driver.
Who would like this trip? Confident adventurers can try our Jinshanling to Jinshanling East self-guided walk- all equipment provided as for our guided trips except you provide your own food and travel at your own pace. You need to be comfortable with walking without the assistant of a guide. We do provide you with detailed instructions, but it is advisable to have some navigational skills.
With a self-guided tour, you can choose whatever day you want to start on. You’re also free to stop wherever you like, whenever you like and how often you like as well taking as many pictures as you like. The freedom of the tour is yours! Besides, we believe this is one of the best budget-friendly things to do in Beijing.
Interested in this tour, any questions? The quickest way to find answers to your questions is to review the most frequently asked questions. If you can’t find the information you are looking for please feel free to contact us.
If you’d like to book a guided version of our self-guided trip – just check the link – we are always happy to run a guided option for you.
- Map the tour/VideosMap the tour/Videos: