Why Book This Tour
Take a full day semi self-guided hike to the picturesque Huanghuacheng with boat ride option also available. Tasting lakeside Great Wall with plenty of photography stops, resting. Lunch at local farm style dish restaurant if required. Enjoy the freedom, flexibility and adventure of hiking at your preferred pace.
- OverviewDuration: One dayOptimal season: All year around, best time: March-DecemberArea: Huairou districtBegin in: Your hotelEnd in: Your hotel or central-located place, or airport / train stationAvg. daily distance: 3.5 milesTerrain: Rolling to hillyMin altitude: 331mMax altitude: 589mPhysical rating: ModerateDeparture: Daily departing from Beijing
- PricesPrice table:
Group size 1pax 2pax 3pax 4pax 5pax 6pax 7pax 8pax 9pax Prices (RMB Per Person) 1190 680 590 560 520 490 470 440 390
All Prices shown are in RMB (Chinese Yuan) and based per person.Price Promises:
- No factory / shopping stop
- No hidden costs
- No booking fees
For your peace of mind you don’t pay for the trip until after the trip has taken place. You could pay cash to your tour guide when you are picked up if you are certain that you will not cancel the trip with us. No pre-payment or deposit is required at reservation. Your money will be safe. Both RMB and US dollar are acceptable. Money ConverterSpecial for kids:
To help families we offer discounts to all children aged 17 years and below. No reason to leave the kids at the hotel.
- Ages 0 to 4 years – FREE!
- Ages 5 to 11 years – 50% off–children must be accompanied by at least two responsible adults.
- Ages 12 to 17 years – 5% off
- 5% off with valid student ID
- City accommodation pick-up
- Transportation from Beijing to the wall and back
- On request, drop-off at (same) different locations: centrally located hotel, train station with your luggage (greater luggage requirements please ask for a quotation)
- Professional Non-English/Chinese speaking driver
- Free-bottled mineral water in the vehicle
- Free cell phone rental service
- Admission fees
- You’ll automatically become a member of WGW, your spouse and kids to a lifetime discount of 5% off any hiking trip after your first one (membership details)
- Gratuity to driver (optional)
- Lunch, drinks, snacks
- Personal expenses
- Travel insurance
- Cable car / chair lift / toboggan
- Sunscreen, sunglasses
- Hiking or trekking shoes/boots
- Long sleeve shirt and pants due to overgrown bushes
- Extra bottles of water, fruit, cereal or protein bars
- Full itineraryFull Itinerary:
You will be collected from your accommodation at 7:30 am or if you prefer, a different time for a wonderful day out to Huanghuacheng. The adventure begins at Tenglong Restaurant & Lodge where you ascend via a hilly trail westward to Xishuiyu.
The starting point is easily accessible. From the valley, you walk upwards through the stunning watchtowers. The track is dilapidated but easy to follow.
About a 1-hour hike, you will reach the border between the restored wall and unrestored wild Wall–Zhuangdaokou Pass.
You will meet your driver again at Zhuangdaokou Pass, the rest 3-4 hours hike along the wild wall will be led by your driver, and end the hike at Xishuiyu which is close to the lake.
Due to overgrown bushes, you have to walk along the very edge of the wall, quite high above the ground. Take your time and enjoy the views.
At Zhuangdaokou climbing up the fourth tower could be a bit scary, but very easy grips and safe. You need to climb into the tower, around a 1.4 m step, it’s at the edge of the wall, and there is a drop of several meters under you.
The sixth tower serves as a turning point for you. From here the left part of the wall can be seen clearly in front of you. In the right following, the wall falls rapidly to the lowest point and rises to the mountain peak. Turn left and keep walking you will reach the seventh tower.
The ninth tower was on the mountaintop and is totally weathered. From here the view is amazing! You will have a spectacular panorama of Huanghuacheng and the broken wall running underneath the water! Take it slow and enjoy the views.
This part of the Wall is too broken to walk safely, to end the hike, you will take a short nature walk through the hilly trail to Xishuiyu village.
The entire semi self-guided walk is about 5.6 miles 98 km and takes roughly 3 – 5 hours. You will not only see the wild beauty of Huanghuacheng but touch, taste, smell and listen to it. This is much more than just a walk.
Does the self-guided tour have a set time frame? No, the self-guided tour doesn’t have any set time frame. However, the hike normally covers 3 -5 hours with plenty of breaks.
Free cell phone rental service is available once you are picked up (for a local call in case you need to contact us for guiding, translation, etc)
Note: The Free cell phone rental service includes one cell phone and local calling Sim with unlimited local calls in case you need to contact us during your tour. This is suitable for your Huanghuacheng & Xishuiyu hike without a tour guide. You would be able to explore Great Wall on your own with 100% worry-free. A cell phone will be returned back when the tour is ending.
Please keep in mind that your driver speaks little English, so please call our office (+86 139 1132 1502) if there is any misunderstanding with your driver.
Who would like this trip? Confident adventurers can try our Huanghuacheng & Xishuiyu Semi self-guided walk- all equipment provided as for our guided trips except you provide your own food and travel at your own pace.
You need to be comfortable with walking without the assistant of a guide. We do provide you with detailed instructions, but it is advisable to have some navigational skills.
With a self-guided tour, you can choose whatever day you want to start on. You’re also free to stop wherever you like, whenever you like and how often you like as well taking as many pictures as you like. The freedom of the tour is yours! Besides, we believe this is one of the best budget-friendly things to do in Beijing.
Interested in this tour, any questions? The quickest way to find answers to your questions is to check the hiking tips. If you can’t find the information you are looking for please feel free to contact us.
Did you know? From Huanghuacheng, you can visit Ming Tomb (approx. 1 hour’s drive) or Summer Palace (approx. 1.5 hour’s drive) if departing at 7 AM from Beijing works for you. (Best time to visit: April – October.) You are welcome to contact us by filling the form online. We will offer you the most suitable tailor-made itinerary with the best price.
If you’d like to book a guided version of our self-guided trip – just check the link – we are always happy to run a guided option for you.
- Map the tour/VideosMap the tour/Videos: