Why Book This Tour
Explore the varied landscape of the Great Wall in a fun and informative way, Day hikes from Gubeikou to Mutianyu will allow you to experience finest scenery, stay overnight at guesthouse to allow time for rest, relaxation and also to enhance your experience.
- OverviewDuration: 2 daysOptimal season: All year around, best time: March-DecemberArea: Huairou district, Miyun countyBegin in: Your hotelEnd in: Your hotel or central-located place in the cityAvg. daily distance: 5 milesTerrain: Rolling to hillyMin altitude: 331mMax altitude: 978mPhysical rating: ModerateDeparture: Daily departing from Beijing
- PricesPrice table:
Group size 1pax 2pax 3pax 4pax 5pax 6pax 7pax 8pax 9pax Prices (RMB Per Person) 3880 2280 2180 1980 1880 1780 1680 1580 1480
All Prices shown are in RMB (Chinese Yuan) and based per person.Price Promises:
- No factory / shopping stop
- No hidden costs
- No booking fees
For your peace of mind you don’t pay for the trip until after the trip has taken place. You could pay cash to your tour guide when you are picked up if you are certain that you will not cancel the trip with us. No pre-payment or deposit is required at reservation. Your money will be safe. Both RMB and US dollar are acceptable. Money ConverterSpecial for kids:
To help families we offer discounts to all children aged 17 years and below. No reason to leave the kids at the hotel.
- Ages 0 to 4 years – FREE!
- Ages 5 to 11 years – 50% off–children must be accompanied by at least two responsible adults.
- Ages 12 to 17 years – 5% off
- 5% off with valid student ID
- City accommodation pick-up
- Transportation from Beijing to the wall and back
- On request, drop-off at (same) different locations: centrally located hotel, airport, train station with your luggage (greater luggage requirements please ask for a quotation)
- Luggage transfer
- Service hotline
- Friendly knowledgeable English-speaking guide
- Delicious meals as described in the itinerary
- Free-bottled mineral water in the vehicle
- Admission fees
- One night accommodation at the local farmhouse (two queen beds, white bedding, air conditioning, heating, private bathroom, shower, sink, toilet facilities, and free WiFi)
- You’ll automatically become a member of WGW, your spouse and kids to a lifetime discount of 5% off any hiking trip after your first one (membership details)
- Gratuity to driver and guide (optional)
- Drinks and other meals
- Personal expenses
- Travel insurance
- Cable car
- Sunscreen, sunglasses
- Hiking or trekking shoes/boots
- Long sleeve shirt and pants due to overgrown bushes in summer
- Extra bottles of water, fruit, cereal or protein bars, snacks
- Full itineraryFull Itinerary:
Day 1: Beijing-Jiankou – Mutianyu-Gubeikou
You will be collected from your accommodation at 7.30 am or you could choose the best time for you for a wonderful day out to Jiankou. The adventure begins at Xizhazi village–587m /1926ft above sea level. Once you leave the village, the hike is a decent uphill to reach the ruined tower-Zhengbeilou–830m / 2723ft above sea level. On the halfway to Zhengbeikou, your guide will take you on a short nature walk to explore the less Potala, a broken tower where you will capture the best scenery /landscape views of Jiankou. Take your time and enjoy views.
After a short break continues on Zhengbeikou. At the top, the hard part is now behind you. You will be rewarded with a spectacular panorama of Jiankou and the true nature of Jiankou basin. Afterward, you will walk eastwards to Mutianyu. There are a few vertical climbs and scrambles along the way. Due to the overgrown bushes, you have to walk along the very edge, quite high above the ground.
After passing through many towers along the way, you’ll reach Ox Horn Edge–a dangerous section looks like Ox Horn Edge in shape – 101m / 3317ft above sea level. From there take a forest detour past a campsite in the bush, with tracks to walk through and gives you the feel of being close to nature. Going through the bush takes about 10 minutes then you will walk on Jiankou again. From there it’s a short walk to the fully restored Mutianyu.
Mutianyu also features a summer toboggan run: open hour: 8 am-5 pm in summer, situated on tower 6, it was built and opened in 1998. The total length of the run is 1580m / 5184ft. The toboggan run goes down a series of zigzag bends, with an altitude difference of around 100m / 328ft. The toboggan ride can be as fast as you want or as slow as you want with a hilarious experience. Mutianyu toboggan ride price is 60RMB during the tourist season.
It’s a sharp contrast between the restored one and the ruined one. When ending up at tower 14 of Mutianyu, There are three options: (1) sit back and let the cable car take you down to the exit from tower 14, usually takes about 8 minutes; (2) walk down from tower 14 to 10 where you can get off Mutianyu then walk down the hill trail to reach the exit, usually takes 1.5 hours; (3)continue walking until reach tower 6 then going down by the toboggan /lift chair. As the track is very easy to follow, if you choose option 3, your guide will meet you at the exit of toboggan /lift chair so you can enjoy the additional hike on your own.
Enjoy a tasty lunch at Mutianyu before 2 hours drive to Gubeikou where a hot shower, comfortable beds, a yummy dinner at local farmers’ guesthouse are waiting.
Day 2: Gubeikou – Jinshanling – Beijing
Wake to the tranquillity of Gubeikou and after breakfast, your adventure begins gently at Gubeikou village with a short climb up to a broken tower. Walk eastward and enjoy plenty of photography stops before you reach General Tower. From there you will capture the true nature of Gubeikou mountain.
After 1 hours’ gradually climbing through several towers, then you will reach the 24-window tower. Here, a large part of the wall belongs to the military area. You will descend into the basins of the Spider Valley. From here it is a gentle walk through the cornfields to the hilly trail.
Along the way you will pass through an abandoned house, complete with a well and a mid-sized water store in the middle of the Valley. Going through the hilly trail in 1.5 hours then walk back to the wall -Jinshanling west. After a short climb, you will reach the West five-window Tower. Here you can sit in the tower and gaze down the spider valley.
You’ll get off the wall at the renowned Zhuanduokou. Enjoy a yummy farm-style lunch at Bakeshiying town then your vehicle will take you back to Beijing.
Note: Jinshanling currently has two gates: the Front Gate (Main Gate) and the East Gate. Be aware that visitors are not allowed to enter from the East Gate from November 16th to March 15th and only the Front Gate is available, but visitors can still get out from the East Gate before 15:00 between Nov 16th and March 15th every year.
Optional: your driver will be happy to have a photography stop at Bird’s nest free of charge on the way back to Beijing if required.
Interested in this tour, any questions? The quickest way to find answers to your questions is to review the most frequently asked questions. If you can’t find the information you are looking for please feel free to contact us.
- Map the tour/Videos