Why Book This Tour
Take four days of guided hikes through the famous Jinshanling, Jiankou, Gubeikou etc, past mountain peaks, inspiring scenery on a unique experience without sacrificing comfort or convenience. Learn about the Great Wall history and rich culture of it, whilst immersed in some of the most spectacular wilderness scenery.
- OverviewDuration: 4 daysOptimal season: All year around, best time: March-DecemberArea: Huairou district, Miyun county, Luanping countyBegin in: Your hotelEnd in: Your hotel or central-located place in the cityAvg. daily distance: 5 milesTerrain: Rolling to hillyMin altitude: 331mMax altitude: 978mPhysical rating: ModerateDeparture: Daily departing from Beijing
- PricesPrice table:
Group size 1pax 2pax 3pax 4pax 5pax 6pax 7pax 8pax 9pax Prices (RMB Per Person) 6890 4780 4380 4080 3880 3680 3480 3280 2980
All Prices shown are in RMB (Chinese Yuan) and based per person.Price Promises:
- No factory / shopping stop
- No hidden costs
- No booking fees
For your peace of mind you don’t pay for the trip until after the trip has taken place. You could pay cash to your tour guide when you are picked up if you are certain that you will not cancel the trip with us. No pre-payment or deposit is required at reservation. Your money will be safe. Both RMB and US dollar are acceptable. Money ConverterSpecial for kids:
To help families we offer discounts to all children aged 17 years and below. No reason to leave the kids at the hotel.
- Ages 0 to 4 years – FREE!
- Ages 5 to 11 years – 50% off–children must be accompanied by at least two responsible adults.
- Ages 12 to 17 years – 5% off
- 5% off with valid student ID
- City accommodation pick-up
- Transportation from Beijing to the wall and back
- On request, drop-off at (same) different locations: centrally located hotel, airport, train station with your luggage (greater luggage requirements please ask for a quotation)
- Friendly knowledgeable English-speaking guide
- Delicious meals as described in the itinerary
- Luggage transfer
- Service hotline
- Free-bottled mineral water in the vehicle
- Admission fees
- Three nights’ accommodation at the local farmhouses (two queen beds, white bedding, air conditioning, heating, private bathroom, shower, sink, toilet facilities, and free WiFi)
- You’ll automatically become a member of WGW, your spouse and kids to a lifetime discount of 5% off any hiking trip after your first one (membership details)
- Gratuity to driver and guide (optional)
- Drinks and other meals
- Personal expenses
- Travel insurance
- Cable car
- Sunscreen, sunglasses
- Hiking or trekking shoes/boots
- Long sleeve shirt and pants due to overgrown bushes in summer
- Extra bottles of water, fruit, cereal or protein bars, snacks
- Full itineraryFull Itinerary:
Day 1: Beijing – Huanghuacheng – Xishuiyu
You will be collected from your accommodation at 7.30 am or you can choose the best time for you for a wonderful day out of Huanghuacheng. Hike westward to Xishuiyu when getting on the Wall. The entire hike is around 2-3 hours or 6km in distance. It is a long climb although the hike is easy. The stairs are sandy and slippery in some parts.
The final slope of the Huanghuacheng down to Xishuiyu is long and steep. The surface is dilapidated and slippery. You have to get off the wall before this final span and walk through the bushes down to Xishuiyu.
Your driver will take you to a local restaurant nearby for a yummy lunch then drive to a country guesthouse near Jiankou. Enjoy a country-style dinner at the guesthouse in the evening and stay for a night.
Huanghuacheng Great Wall is featured for the elegance with water. It is called water Great Wall by local villagers. The wall goes around a reservoir and part of the wall are underwater. It is divided into three parts subtly by water.
Huanghua means yellow flowers in Chinese. In midsummer yellow flowers blooms all over the mountain. This area is also a popular spot for citizens who is fond of a self-driving trip to fish, camp, picnic, etc.
Day 2: Jiankou – Mutianyu – Gubeikou
Drive to Jiankou with our belongings (0.5 hr) after breakfast. Start from Xizhazi village–around 587m / 1926 ft above sea level. The hike is a decent uphill to reach the ruined tower–around 830 m / 2723 ft above sea level–once leaving the village.
Due to the overgrown bushes on Jiankou, you have to walk along the very edge, quite high above the ground. There are a few vertical climbs and scrambles on the wall. After passing through many towers along the way reach the Ox Horn Edge–about 1011m / 3317 ft above sea level. From there take a forest detour past a campsite. It takes about 10 minutes to walk along the footpath back to the wall.
Passing through several towers we reach the RESTORED watchtower – Mutianyu. Mutianyu also features a summer toboggan run ( open hour:8am-5 pm in summer), situated on tower 6, which was built and opened in 1998. The total length of the run is 1580m (5184ft). The toboggan run goes down a series of zigzag bends, with an altitude difference of around 100m (328ft).
When ending up at the east side of the Mutianyu, either walking down the hill trail or going down by the toboggan or the cable car. The toboggan ride can be as fast as you want or as slow as you want. Mutianyu toboggan ride price is 60RMB during the tourist season. It is a hilarious experience when riding the toboggan.
Have a tasty lunch at a local farmer’s restaurant nearby then drive to a country guesthouse near Gubeikou. Enjoy a country-style dinner at the guesthouse in the evening and relax for the night.
Day 3: Gubeikou – Jinshanling
Start the walk on the wall after a short climb up to a tower. Walk eastbound along the wall to Jinshanling. Take a detour through Spider Valley when reaching the military land after 3 hours’ hike. There is an abandoned house, complete with a well and a mid-sized water store in the middle of the Valley. And then we start to walk into the fields. Going through the hill trail in the fields takes 1.5 hours.
After 4-5 hrs hike, descend to the village at the base of Jinshanling. Check-in at the guesthouse and enjoy a country-style dinner.
Gubeikou was an important checkpoint on the wall. The wall is around 20 kilometers long and is divided into four sections: Wohushan, Panlongshan, Jinshanling, and Simatai.
Day 4: Jinshanling – Simatai West (East Gate ) Beijing
Start the walk with a short climb up to a tower at Shalingkou Pass. Walking toward Simatai you will pass through several famous towers: Black Tower, Lesser Jinshan Tower, Big Jinshan Tower. The difficulty is moderate and you may need to go up to the ruined towers by hands. Certain parts of the wall can be quite slippery due to loose rock, gravel on steep slopes.
Since Simatai East is currently closed, when reaching East Five Eyes Tower (Simatai West), you need to backtrack a short distance and then descend via a newly constructed trail toward a new parking area. Lunch at a local farmer’s restaurant will be organized and then drive back to Beijing.
Interested in this tour, any questions? The quickest way to find answers to your questions is to review the most frequently asked questions. If you can’t find the information you are looking for please feel free to contact us.
- Map the tour/Videos