Wondering When to Visit Beijing? Discover the Best Time to Take a Trip to the Capital
When To Visit Beijing – Summary
The best time to visit Beijing is from April to June and September to early November when the weather is mild and pleasant but not overwhelming tourist crowds. The cheapest time to visit Beijing is from January to February. My favorite month in Beijing in October.
- Best Time for Good Weather: May to October through July, and August can be hot and humid.
- Best Time for Sightseeing: April, May, June, September, October, and early November
- Best Time for Honeymoon: September, October, and early November
- Best Time for Nightlife: Year-round
- Best Time for Saving Money: January and February
Beijing can be visited at any time of year, as it has a mild climate and extreme weather is rare. But your visit will be different depending on the time of year. See our guide to visiting during Beijing’s four seasons below.
Spring: Late March To Early June
Spring is a great time to visit. You’ll enjoy longer daylight hours and mild weather. Various flowers explode into full bloom, and trees are gradually turning green. The temperatures average 10° to 20°C (50 to 70°F)–perfect if you’re seeking a great spring break.
Hotel prices aren’t at full price during the earliest part of this time as they raise the closer you get to summer.
Many special events take place during this time. For example, the Pure & Bright Festival occurs sometime in early April each year, while May starts strong with May Day (May 1st) and Youth Day (May 4th) celebrations.
The spring flower blooms are something to behold.
Summer: Late June To August
Summer is the busy season for both domestic and foreign tourists. You’ll likely encounter higher airfare costs and hotel prices in summer.
July and August are the hottest months of summer. The temperatures average 30° to 40°C (86°F to 104°F). With warm (even hot!) weather in summer, you can make the most of Beijing’s green spaces, beer gardens, and rooftop bars.
During summer, visiting the main sites like Great Wall on weekdays is more pleasant than seeing it during weekends.
Autumn:: September To Early November
Autumn is a lovely time of year to visit Beijing. While September will have some leftover hot days from summer, the humidity is gone. Even on September’s warmest days, you have the best temperatures to enjoy touring outdoor comfortably.
In late September, overnight temperatures during this time are in the 40s and 50s, so it is still comfortable, but you’ll want some long sleeves and light layers.
This is quite a comfortable season and the best time to explore the main sites. The hotel fees will start falling once again during this time. You haven’t missed out on significant festivals, either. Mid-Autumn Day occurs sometime in September, while National Day is celebrated on October 1st.
Winter: December To Early March
Beijing is colder in winter, with low temperatures, snow, and holiday crowds. Wind and temperatures can be bitingly cold.
January and February are generally quieter times to visit, and apart from the Spring Festival, you can often find cheaper deals on accommodation, attractions, and restaurants.
Winter lovers get to enjoy the incredible snowy mountains and the snow-filled Great Wall.
Beijing Weather by Month
- Beijing Weather in January: January is Beijing’s coldest month. Temperatures range from -12°to 4°C. Snow is likely around this time, and most of the time is sunny in January. – warm clothes such as sweaters and a thick winter coat are a must.
- Beijing Weather in February: February is warmer than January but still cold. The average daytime high creeps up to 4.2°C. It hardly snows in February, and the days remain short: Beijing sunset is around 5:30 pm in February.
- Beijing Weather in March: March is a bit of a mixed bag in Beijing, sometimes feeling like winter and spring-like. It is still dry and windy. Generally, a sweater and a thick jacket are enough in March.
- Beijing Weather in April: Visitors will experience plenty of warm days. Average temperatures range from 7 to 18°C. There are large differences between day and night temperatures. Spring flowers are up and blooming by the end of the month.
- Beijing Weather in May: May is one of Beijing’s loveliest months. The temperature ranges from 10-25°C (50-77°F), so it’s usually warm but not hot. Flowers are blooming, trees are leafing out, and it’s a beautiful time to explore the city’s many parks.
- Beijing Weather in June: June days grow warmer as summer approaches, though it’s usually not too hot or humid to comfortably enjoy being outdoors. Compared to May, the temperature in June rises significantly except for more rain with occasional thunderstorms.
- Beijing Weather in July: The hottest month of the year, expect temperatures to range from 21-35°C, with an average high of 40°C (104°F). The humidity is on the rise as well. It’s usually not so uncomfortable that you can’t enjoy a walk in the park or lunch or dinner in a sidewalk café.
- Beijing Weather in August: Although it remains hot, August is much more comfortable than July. The weather is getting cooler, especially in the morning and evening in late August. It tends to rain in July and August it is advisable to carry outfits.
- Beijing Weather in September: September is quite a comfortable month, with clear, lovely sky and cooler air settling in as October approaches. Temperatures range from 21-27°C until mid-month. September’s warmest days are perfect for outdoor activities and seeing the city on foot.
- Beijing Weather in October: Traditionally, Beijing is getting more relaxed at this time of year. October boasts mild temperatures and crisp autumn air. Temps range from 10-20°C, so it’s good to pack a light jacket. October is the best season for visitors who love photography since they get the calmest weather to capture beautiful photographs in the morning and sunset.
- Beijing Weather in November: Days are getting shorter, cooler. There might be occasional solid and cold winds by the end of the month. A jacket is essential, and a hat and gloves are a good idea.
- Beijing Weather in December: Winter arrives in Beijing, with cold temperatures, snow, and violent winds from Siberia. The cold wind freezes all the plants and flowers. Beijing is usually snowed in December or sometime in January. Wearing winter clothes is highly recommended.
Most Popular Posts
Which part of the Great Wall is the best to visit
When is the best time to visit the Great Wall of China
Mutianyu Great Wall travel guide
Where is the best location to stay in Beijing
How long should I stay in Beijing